[ITRDBFOR] Harold C. Fritts [1928-2019]

  • From: "Leavitt, Steven W - (sleavitt)" <sleavitt AT email.arizona.edu>
  • To: ITRDB Forum <itrdbfor AT itrdbfor.org>
  • Subject: [ITRDBFOR] Harold C. Fritts [1928-2019]
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 05:05:28 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Dear DendroCommunity,
With great sadness, we regret to inform you that Hal Fritts passed away
just before midnight on January 9, 2019, in Tucson, Arizona. I
understand he had been doing fairly well earlier in the day but suddenly
and unexpectedly passed in the late evening.  Hal had just celebrated
his 90th birthday on December 17, and we had enjoyed his company a few
days later at a holiday party at the Tree-Ring Lab.  He was a giant in
the field of dendrochronology, and his book Tree Rings and Climate
continues to be used by even the youngest among us.  He is sadly missed.
   The family has not announced any plans for a funeral, but at some
point the Tree-Ring Lab will likely host a tribute to Hal, and you will
be invited to share any of your fond memories of him.
Best regards,
-Steve

--
Steven W. Leavitt