[ITRDBFOR] Invitation [STOTEN] “Special Iss ue: Applications of Dendrochemistry in Environmental Sciences ”

  • From: Raul Sanchez Salguero <rsanchez AT upo.es>
  • To: itrdbfor AT itrdbfor.org
  • Cc: Andrea Heviagmail <aheviacabal AT gmail.com>, Jesus Julio Camarero <jjcamarero AT ipe.csic.es>, JOSE IGNACIO QUEREJETA MERCADER <querejeta AT cebas.csic.es>
  • Subject: [ITRDBFOR] Invitation [STOTEN] “Special Iss ue: Applications of Dendrochemistry in Environmental Sciences ”
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 11:52:56 +0100

Dear colleagues,

On the International Year 2019 of the Periodic Table as a Common Language for Science, the prestigious journal Science of the Total Environment (IF 4.610) (ISSN 0048-9697), an International Journal for Scientific Research into the Environment and its relationship with Humankind, is currently running a Special Issue entitled "Applications of Dendrochemistry in Environmental Sciences". As we are acting as guest editors for this issue, we would like to welcome contributions from various disciplines. We kindly invite you to consider submitting your full paper to this Special Issue.

Special Issue Website: https://goo.gl/ADtdv4

Submission Deadline: 14 September 2019

At the moment, about 13 papers have already signed up for this special issue, and several other authors have expressed their interest. If you are interested in our special issue, please feel free to contact us. Authors are encouraged to send a short abstract with tentative title to the Guest Editors in advance (send to: dendrochemistry19 AT gmail.com) to keep us posted.

Authors are invited to submit papers related to the following topics:

This special issue would represent novel work that is of general interest for a broad audience of the journal given the implications of the environmental changes and its relationship with humankind across all biomes. Dendrochemical studies in forest ecosystems are still underdeveloped. Since trees are natural proxies of changes in the environmental conditions, temporal atmospheric or soil changes in the course of climate change may be registered in annual tree-rings. There exists a great concern on the effects of environmental stressors on 21st-century forests. As a consequence, tree-ring variables (nutrient content, stable isotopes, wood traits) are used as temporal proxies of tree functioning, forest health, changes in soil chemistry, pollution, climate change and cascade effects on tree-soil interactions. Changes in element availability, water use efficiency and element uptake of trees can be modulated by long-term human or natural impacts (pollution, volcanic eruptions, acidification, forest dieback, etc) or by short-term events (drought, heat wave, insect outbreaks, fire, etc). Although wood usually presents a low mineral nutrient concentration, the emergence of dendrochemistry, i.e., the chemical analysis of annually (seasonal) resolved wood tissues in high spatial resolution, has provided new data on long-term (from seasonal to centennial) series to reconstruct environmental changes and the nutritional status of trees and ecosystems.

In this SI, we aim to fill gaps on the application of dendrochemistry (including measurements of stable isotopes ratios, nutrients, trace elements, and organic components) on environmental research by asking for manuscripts which constitute original contributions on studies developing application in forest ecology, tree physiology, nutrient balances, forest pathology, human and forest health, pollution, environmental changes reconstructions, genetic, dendroprovenances, volcanology, as well as modelling or empirical studies aimed at improving our mechanistic understanding of short and long-term chemical variations in global ecosystems.

All STOTEN special issues are virtual special issues, i.e. papers are published as soon as they are accepted and are not physically joint in a single printed journal issue.

Once we received and accepted your short abstract, we will send you the instructions to submit your manuscript through the Science of the Total Environment website (at https://www.journals.elsevier.com/science-of-the-total-environment) and the procedures for manuscript submission.

Author Guidelines and Manuscript Submission can be found at:

https://www.elsevier.com/journals/science-of-the-total-environment/0048-9697/guide-for-authors

Feel free to contact us if you would have any questions in dendrochemistry19 AT gmail.com

Best wishes,

Handling editor:

Dr. Elena Paoletti

Guest Editors: