[ITRDBFOR] Workshop: future directions for fire ecology research

  • From: <tepleya AT gmail.com>
  • To: itrdbfor AT itrdbfor.org
  • Subject: [ITRDBFOR] Workshop: future directions for fire ecology research
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2017 15:28:37 -0400 (EDT)

Future of Fire Workshop

We invite participants to join us at the “Future of Fire” workshop aimed at
advancing understanding of fire as an Earth system process, an ecological
process, and an important agent of global change. Specific goals are to (1)
identify the key questions and priorities for fire science research,
especially regarding the interactions of fire with ecological processes from
populations to ecosystem levels; (2) establish fire science as a central
research area within basic science to better complement the applied aspects of
fire ecology; and (3) find and promote areas of synergy among previously
separate areas of fire science based within ecology but interacting with other
disciplines.

The workshop is funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and will be
held on November 6-7, 2017, at the Chautauqua National Historic Landmark along
the foothills of the Colorado Front Range near Boulder, Colorado. Support will
be provided for travel, lodging, and meals for participating researchers from
both the U.S. and other nations.

The workshop will include a sequence of activities, beginning with short
lightning talks for participants to introduce themselves and their perspective
on key directions for fire science research. We will then form initial working
groups to identify knowledge gaps and research priorities in specific areas of
fire ecology. Finally, we will write a manuscript setting priorities for
future fire science research. After the workshop, these priorities and new
research connections among participants will enable significant further
progress in understanding how fire may function in the future.

We seek to include researchers working across a range of spatial and temporal
scales, bringing experience from a variety of disciplinary perspectives (but
connected with ecology), and representing fire regimes in most major biomes on
Earth. Affiliations may include academic institutions, government agencies, or
NGOs, and participants at all career levels are welcome. We are particularly
supportive of early- to mid-career researchers.

To apply, please go to https://goo.gl/forms/gdu65sfrtuwdFXLA3, and provide us
with your name, affiliation, area of expertise within fire ecology, the
primary spatial and temporal scales of your work, and any other insight you
hope to contribute to or gain from the workshop.

Thank you for your interest.

Steering Committee:
Kendra McLauchlan (Kansas State University)
Brendan Rogers (Woods Hole Research Center)
Jen Schweitzer (University of Tennessee)
Alan Tepley (Smithsonian Institute)
Tom Veblen (University of Colorado)

  • [ITRDBFOR] Workshop: future directions for fire ecology research, tepleya, 08/09/2017