[ITRDBFOR] GSA Session: APPLYING QUATERNARY SCIENCE IN THE 21ST CENTURY

  • From: "Woodhouse, Connie A - (conniew1)" <conniew1 AT email.arizona.edu>
  • To: "itrdbfor AT itrdbfor.org" <itrdbfor AT itrdbfor.org>
  • Subject: [ITRDBFOR] GSA Session: APPLYING QUATERNARY SCIENCE IN THE 21ST CENTURY
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 20:21:44 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

2017 GSA Annual Meeting, Oct 22-25, 2017, Seattle

Oral Topical Session T172, 8am to 12 pm, Monday, Oct. 23

A CALL TO ARMS: APPLYING QUATERNARY SCIENCE IN THE 21ST CENTURY

CO-Conveners: Julio Betancourt, USGS, Reston, VA, jlbetanc AT usgs.gov; Rolfe D. Mandel, University of Kansas & Kansas Geological Survey, Lawrence, KS, mandel AT ku.edu

Sponsor(s): U.S. National Committee-International Quaternary Association (INQUA); American Quaternary Association (AMQUA); GSA Quaternary Geology and Geomorphology Division; GSA Geology & Society Division; GSA Soils IIG; GSA Environmental & Engineering Geology Division.

Description: This session addresses how profound environmental, technological, and societal trends, and their interactions pose formidable consequences, requiring a repurposing and retooling of applied Quaternary science, with applications spanning disciplines, nations, and existing and emerging problems.

Rationale: For our GSA Session, we will aggressively pursue abstracts and speakers that we deem at the frontier of applied Quaternary science. The session is being proposed and sponsored by members of the U.S. National Committee-INQUA. Since its inception in 1928, one of INQUA's basic goals has been to improve communication and international collaboration in applied aspects of Quaternary research. This session is being proposed because many of the environmental and societal challenges in our fast-changing world will require a repurposing and retooling of Quaternary science to solve a daunting list of real-world problems. In July 2016, one of us (Betancourt) helped organized the very focused and popular 24th Biennial AMQUA meeting in Santa Fe with 26 plenary speakers and 84 lightning talks and posters around the theme “Retooling the Quaternary to Manage the Anthropocene.” (http://biology.unm.edu/fasmith/2016AMQUA/). Both AMQUA and the USNC-INQUA aim to continue building momentum towards a global “community of practice.” In that spirit, the USNC-INQUA and AMQUA will introduce a simple one-slide template for articulating grand challenges in Applied Quaternary Science in the 21st Century. Presenters and participants in our session will be encouraged to prepare and submit Grand Challenge slides on the USNC-INQUA website. If this trial effort is successful and productive, we will promote the use of the template at subsequent GSA, AMQUA, INQUA, ESA, and AGU meetings and focused workshops. We hope that these USNC-INQUA slides can serve as inspiration and as an evolving resource for all of our professional society members in the U.S. and across the world.

Abstracts deadline is 11:59 p.m., Pacific Time, 1 August 2017.

Please submit abstracts at

http://community.geosociety.org/gsa2017/science-careers/sessions/topical

Connie Woodhouse

Professor

School of Geography and Development

University of Arizona

Tucson, AZ  85721

520-626-0235

  • [ITRDBFOR] GSA Session: APPLYING QUATERNARY SCIENCE IN THE 21ST CENTURY, Woodhouse, Connie A - (conniew1), 07/07/2017