[ITRDBFOR] 2018 the World Dendro Conference

  • From: Paul Krusic <pjk AT ldeo.columbia.edu>
  • To: ITRDB Forum <itrdbfor AT itrdbfor.org>
  • Subject: [ITRDBFOR] 2018 the World Dendro Conference
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2017 11:59:46 +0100

June 4, 2017

Dear Tree-Ring Community,

      It our pleasure to announce that one year from today the 10th International Tree-ring Conference will be held in Thimphu, Bhutan. Imbedded within the full spectrum of traditional and new applications of tree-ring data we propose the theme for this event is “Climate Change Impacts in Developing Countries and Mountain Environments”.

      The hosts for this quadrennial event are the Ugyen Wangchuck Institute for Conservation and the Environment (UWICE), Department of Forest and Park Services, Ministry of Agriculture and Forests, the Tree-Ring Labs at the University of Cambridge and Columbia University’s Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory, and the Tree-Ring Society.

     The complete program will take place from the 2nd to 22nd of June, 2018. Registration for the conference proceedings will open on Sunday June 10th and the conference itself will run till Friday, June 15th. There will be a pre-conference Fieldweek from Sunday, June 3rd to Friday, June 8th, and following the conference there will be 1 week available for post-conference excursions.

    Considering the rarity of these events and the location the community has chosen for the 10th International Tree-ring Conference, we would like to do something special with the opportunity. To this end, 2018 the World Dendro Conference aims to change the paradigm on how conferences on this scale exchange knowledge within the community of their participants, as well as with the community where they are held. In Bhutan in 2018, participants will have more opportunities to share their experiences with local students and interested public. It is our hope that with this added dimension we will garner the support from a wider selection of funding sources. The combined benefits of making an impact locally, and stimulating exchanges of knowledge externally, will permit us to reduce registration fees significantly. We have set the target ceiling for student and non-student registrations at 200 USD and 400 USD, respectively, and discounts will be available for Tree-Ring Society members.

    Within the next couple weeks the Conference Website will be opened. As time progresses, the website will be updated. Initially, it will contain information on how to register, how to plan your travel, and the range of accommodations available in Thimphu, Bhutan. We have just created a twitter account which we will use for real-time communications, news and updates @worlddendro2018.

  In closing, we feel extremely honoured to have been given the opportunity by the tree-ring community to hold the 10th International Tree-ring Conference in Thimphu, Bhutan. We will do whatever we can to make it an extremely memorable event.

Sincerely,

Paul J. Krusic and Edward R. Cook

Dept. of Geography
University of Cambridge
Cambridge, CB2 3EN, UK

Tree-Ring Lab
Lamont-Doherty Earth Obs.
Columbia University,
Palisades, NY, NY, USA 10964

  • [ITRDBFOR] 2018 the World Dendro Conference, Paul Krusic, 06/04/2017