Re: [ITRDBFOR] recommendation for scanner A3 ???

  • From: Daniel Patón <d.paton.d AT gmail.com>
  • To: itrdbfor AT itrdbfor.org
  • Subject: Re: [ITRDBFOR] recommendation for scanner A3 ???
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 10:01:06 +0100

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 08:42:32 +0100
"Tobias Scharnweber"
<tobias.scharnweber AT uni-greifswald.de>
wrote:

> Dear all;
>
> For optical-scanning of long cores we are looking for an appropriate
> scanner-model (A3 format or larger). Ideally the margins of the scan surface
> should also be as plain as possible (our cores are up to 80 cm in length).
> All kind of experiences are welcome!
>
> Best regards
>
> Tobias

Hello,

I have an scanner Epson Expression 10000XL (used by FBI for detection of
falsifications in documents) and give a very high resolution (2.400 x 4.800
dpi).

This model is very fast if you connect with an operating system that can
manage the high quantity of memory that is required. I recommend you FreeBSD,
the UNIX of Berkeley Software Distribution. This incredible operating system
is the best in performance.

However, you can use an A4 flat scanner and scanning the cores in two or
three sections. If you put a signal in the core you can measure until the
signal. Probably this system is much better, because you can work to maximum
resolution in files of less memory. I discover this after buy the scanner ;-).

Good luck

--
Daniel Patón Domínguez
Numerical Ecology. Ecology Unit