[ITRDBFOR] AGU session on drought in western North America

  • From: Daniel Griffin <dendrodan AT gmail.com>
  • To: "itrdbfor AT itrdbfor.org" <itrdbfor AT itrdbfor.org>
  • Subject: [ITRDBFOR] AGU session on drought in western North America
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 21:57:08 -0500

Colleagues,

A reminder that we too are organizing a session for the AGU Fall Meeting. The abstract submission deadline is approaching.

The topic is drought in western North America, and we have confirmation from four invited speakers. Details are below. Please consider submitting an abstract and forwarding this message to others who might be interested.

Thanks,
Dan

----
GC-057. The Future of Prolonged Drought in Western North America

Paleoclimate records show evidence of severe and prolonged dry periods during recent millennia in western North America. However, the degree of predictability and the mechanisms by which megadroughts are initiated or persist remain unclear. This session incorporates paleoclimate records, such as tree rings, and modeling studies for the purpose of investigating the mechanisms of decadal to multi-decadal drought in western North America. This includes presentations on potential sources of decadal memory, including external or natural forcings, and the importance of aerosols or local feedbacks on drought persistence. We particularly encourage syntheses of global and regional modeling and paleoclimate records.

Confirmed Invited Speakers:
Toby Ault, Cornell University
Jonathan Overpeck, University of Arizona
Richard Seager, Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory
David Stahle, University of Arkansas

Conveners:
Sally Langford, University of Colorado, sally.langford AT colorado.edu
Daniel Griffin, University of Arizona, dgriffin AT email.arizona.edu
Benjamin Cook, NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies, benjamin.i.cook AT nasa.gov

Conference:
The 2013 Fall Meeting of the American Geophysical Union will be held in San Francisco CA, December 9–13, 2013.
The abstract submission deadline is August 6, 23:59 EDT. (http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2013/)

--
Daniel Griffin
University of Arizona

  • [ITRDBFOR] AGU session on drought in western North America, Daniel Griffin, 07/30/2013